Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Talking about the weather

Some boys I talked with last week pose for a photo.
The news says we're having the hottest summer in the last ten years. That's saying a lot, because it was pretty hot those years too. [Update: We've had the longest heat wave since records have been kept, with over 25 consecutive days with temperatures over 100°F. In 1934, it was the actual hottest year on record for us, but even then they didn't have 25 days of consecutive heat.] Daily temperatures are over 100° with heat indexes around 116°F. My electric bill will be scary this time around, but at least I am able to run my air-conditioner. So many others can't run it all day (if they even have one at all). Today I saw a couple of people wearing wet towels on their heads. We've got two more weeks of this forecast before the weather "dips" into the 90s. Most summers, we have torrential rains to cool things off, but there doesn't seem to be much of that this year.

In related news, Chinese people don't talk about the weather much. Once I asked a Chinese man why and he said they couldn't change the weather, so why talk about it? They talk about food quite a lot though.

No comments: