Friday, July 12, 2013

Today is fix-it day

These days, not much in China is cheap like it used to be. But veggies and tailoring are still cheap. I got four pairs of jeans hemmed today for less than $1 each. I also got three shirts altered; they cost quite a bit more. This tailor shop is next to the men's dress pants section of a department store.

And when I say pants, I mean pants as a word from American English, not from British or Australian English (then it means something else; they are fond of the word "trousers").
After I got my clothes altered, I took some of my watches to get new watch batteries. The batteries were $2.50 each. They don't tend to last very long, so I'll be back here before next year to get more.
As you can see, his little fix-it shop in a back alley isn't very big and has all kinds of time pieces. I can't imagine how this job makes enough money to feed a family, but I always admire someone who finds his niche and makes the best of it.

This post has no real purpose, I just thought you'd want to see some of the things I see.

No comments: