Sunday, May 19, 2013

Shock

I'm back in Bedrock for a visit. But Bedrock isn't very bedrock-y anymore. If you saw this amazingly modern city today, you would think everything I ever told you about this place was an utter lie. I am in shock. I would say my jaw dropped to the floor, but it would be an understatement. It would be more accurate to say that my jaw has dropped past the floor into a deep cavern inside the earth.

I would try to explain, but words fail me. Before, on a scale of 1-10 in terms of modernity, it was a negative 200. Now, it is a positive 200. Seriously. I have never seen such swift and dramatic change anywhere else in the world in my life, and maybe there never has been. They built a whole entire new city (not pictured) across the river from where this is taken. One building is so big it has 40 elevators. There are exquisite parks and gardens that you wouldn't believe, and ... oh, why am I trying to explain. You couldn't possibly understand. Even if you ever lived here before (as a few of you have), you wouldn't believe it. I may sometimes exaggerate, but I am not doing so this time.

To the few of you who have been here, I will describe a few things of interest. Bedrock has a Subway (sandwich shop), multiple Watsons pharmacies, a bunch more Pizza Huts, H&M clothing store at a posh mall, Metro (French grocery store that sells everything...Old El Paso and everything you can get anywhere else in China), and more. If you lived here, you would never need to go to another city to buy anything. It's all here now.

There are a dozen bridges over the river, and a modern tunnel underneath it. The city has one of the largest TV tower/observation decks in the country. Everything is big, well-made, and attractive. Thousands of skyscrapers line the view in every direction. Wide tree-lined avenues are not crowded. (The photo above is the old part, not the new part, but it is awesome too.)

I need a nap, or maybe some aspirin. I really can't wrap my head around these changes. I lived here from 1996 - 2008. We barely had running water or electricity, much less a grocery store. Donkeys pulled carts down the roads. People made $75 a month or less. Only three buildings in town were over 4 stories high (due to earthquake concerns).

Sorry, I didn't mean to try to explain. I seriously can't process it though and it makes me feel weird. But overall it was lovely to be back, and my friends treated me like a queen. Gotta love that!

No comments: