Sunday, May 05, 2013

A cat named Rover

Suppose a foreigner moved to America, bought a cat, and named him Rover.

This foreigner named his cat Rover, because his parents back in his own country had two cats named Dover and Bover, and he wanted to continue to "Ver" family tradition of pet-naming. Besides, many people in America named their own cats with "Ver" names too. You know, like Lover and Hover. (Okay, my example seems to be falling apart about right now. Try to hang in there with me though, I'm not finished.)

And let's suppose that none of his American acquaintances had a sense of humor. They were overly serious and thought this foreigner was off his rocker. Because Rover is a dog's name, not a cat's name. Dumb foreigner.

Can you see where I am going with this?

In China, Mimi is a name for cats.

Well how was I supposed to know?!!!!!

I bought the little ball of fur from a box on the side of the road in 2005 and took her home. Within an hour she knew her name. My parents had two dogs, Beebee (RIP, beloved doggy) and Koko. And Chinese people gave their own dogs names with repeated syllables. I thought Mimi would be an easy name for Chinese people to pronounce, as it kind of sounds like the word for rice.

At that time Mimi was the size of a Coke can and hadn't had her shots. It would be two months before the little beauty knew that the great outdoors existed. I couldn't risk her getting parvo by letting her out. So we bonded over her name inside my apartment.

But soon enough, we made friends with the great outdoors. And that's when I found out from my neighbors that "Mimi" is what people call cats.

So I smoothed things over by telling everyone that Mimi is an English name, a woman's name. Most people were cool with that.

But TODAY, a woman in my apartment complex with absolutely no common sense, and certainly no sense of humor, suggested that I change my 8-year-old dog's name to a Chinese name! Is she crazy? Do you think my dog is going to be like a Chinese college student that has a Chinese name and an English name both?

No. Absolutely not. My dog is awesome. And her name is Mimi. Forever.

Sheesh.

No comments: