Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Pansies, perfume, Pekingese and holidays

The last three days have been holidays here -- May Day. While everyone else in town is out soaking in the sunshine, I'm packing, upgrading computer operating systems, backing up hard drives and other tedious stuff. But pretty soon (next week) I'm going on a trip within this country, so that ought to be fun.

I suppose you think it is not safe to tell people when you are going to be away from home. However, (a) I only know one person who reads this blog who has any idea of where I live, and she's nice; and (b) I have a mean dog staying in the house with a dog sitter, so there is no vacant house to invade when I am gone. Trust me. My dog may look like an angel, and even act like one most of the time, but she will take a chunk out of your leg if you mess with her. Americans don't need guns to defend themselves. They just need some Pekingese.

I did break away from the house yesterday to go to a nursery to buy a new plant for my balcony. On the way there by e-bike, I was quite taken by the pansies planted in the median, so I decided to stop and take a photo of them. They plant pansies of varying colors pretty much all the time. This is one thing I didn't expect when I moved to this country. I expected drab dark bleakness. I had no idea that this country is into high-end landscaping. Everything looks beautiful where the professional gardeners have been. They must employ thousands of them. This city is gorgeous.

The azaleas and some other tree with white blooms are so fragrant right now that the air is infused with the smell of perfume. It's like walking through a perfume section of a department store. Wow, sure beats some of the other smells that are usually going on around this crowded country! :-)

No comments: