Friday, July 18, 2014

Where I lived in Hong Kong

When I lived in Hong Kong (1995-1996), I lived in Mei Foo. Mei Foo is the Chinese name for Mobile Oil Company … I presume they built this area at some point, but they were not really anywhere to be found when I lived there. In the photo above, I lived on the 16th floor. The top balcony is the 20th floor, so if you count down to the 16th floor, you'll see my balcony had a white roof. That balcony petrified me, so I seldom stood out there.
Down below is a shopping area … and a McDonalds. Now there is a McCafe there too, but there was no specialty coffee when I lived there, just the regular McDonalds brew.
Between my building and McDonalds is a subway entrance. So perfectly convenient for all my roaming around Hong Kong! And trust me, I did a lot of roaming.

 Mei Foo subway station
 Mei Foo (pronounced may-foo)
 My building
 Parking area near my building
 Gate to my building
Subway entrance again, as seen from bottom of my building. I don't think the apartment buildings in the very back of this photo where built when I lived there. They are more modern looking … not that mine were bad, from the inside in particular.
 Kind of pretty, don't you think?
 McCafe
 Spiral steps at the shopping area of Mei Foo
 Napping residents near the subway station
 7-Eleven downstairs from my building
 Mei Foo subway station has always been blue colored
Highway exit near where I lived in Mei Foo

I realize that most of you are not interested enough in this to see a gazillion photos of the place. But I want this blog (= web log) to remind me of all the things that are important to me, so I want to post these.

Not much has changed at Mei Foo. It is still as awesome in 2014 as it was in 1995-96. I bet 20 and even 40 years from now it will still look basically the same. It will have a different cast of characters, but I don't think much else will change.

No comments: