Friday, July 18, 2014

Mid-summer's eve

Lencrafters called and said my new glasses were ready. After living most of my life with perfect vision, age has caught up with me. My arms are no longer long enough to read ANYTHING. So at 4 p.m., when the sun was not too hot, I took off on my e-bike to get my new glasses.

The thick humidity and the buzzing cicadas were proof that summer is here. The heat index is only around 100°F; last year the heat index was 20 degrees hotter than that, every day, for two months. This year's temperatures are so much more bearable!

Lenscrafters did an excellent job. I can see everything perfectly now. What a great thing that Lenscrafters is in my city!

Since I was in that part of town anyways, I decided to get a pedicure. I went all last summer without a pedicure -- I just wore socks and tennis shoes to keep my feet soft and clean -- but I have to go back to Thailand next week and my toes may be exposed to the outside world by sandals. So I felt inclined to spruce them up a bit. 

Before I got the pedicure, I exchanged some DVD's at the DVD store, and bought a big cup of steaming black coffee at Starbucks to take with me to the pedicure place. I went to Dragonfly, the most relaxing spot on earth, for my pedicure. The zen-like ambience, beautiful decor and the smell of sandalwood wafting in the air at Dragonfly make the outing a special one.

After the pedicure, I went around the corner to the local Tex-Mex restaurant. I love that place. It reminds me more of America than any place in this whole country. It is spacious, well-decorated, and has mariachi music. The food is awesome, and the waitresses are friendly and efficient, even without the incentive of a tip. That's another thing I like about eating out here -- no tax and no tipping added on to your bill.

Then it was dark, and I had half an hour ride to get back to my place. The city was lit up beautifully against the night sky. The ancient-looking city wall along the moat looked regal and enchanting. Hundreds of people crowded the parks for line dancing/exercise, kite-flying (the kites were lit up, don't ask me how), shopping and strolling. 

It was just lovely. I love the summer evenings here, and hope to enjoy them more in the days to come.

No comments: