Thursday, July 03, 2014

Third world week continues

I can't make this stuff up. This morning my bathroom hot water heater and my kitchen hot water heater both busted open simultaneously, spewing hot water over opposites sides of my house. (Another bathroom in between the two had no problems.) Each of these rooms has its own hot water heater.

The guy who fixed my electricity yesterday came to check on the plumbing. He said I won't have water in my house until both are replaced. But he's an electrician, so does he really know?

Ugh. I don't think the next few days are going to be fun.

UPDATE - Later in the day

The guy who took apart my water drain pipes today left them laying around on the floor and left. He was done. Was he crazy? I had someone call him to come back a few hours later and put it back together so I could at least use cold water.

His co-worker told me not to worry about having two broken hot water heaters. He said I wouldn't need hot water in my house again until winter. UNTIL WINTER!!!!!!!!!

See what I have to deal with around here?

Good grief. I don't know how I will get them repaired, but until then I will have to boil water on the stove just to wash dishes, like I used to do in Bedrock all the time.

All I can say is that I'm glad my trials and tribulations are not great tragedies. They are little annoyances. I'll survive this.

tu

[Two useful things you need to know about Chinese people: (1) Most of them only take a bath once a week; they don't have underarm odor like the rest of the world has, so they don't get very smelly. Some Chinese I know who are more modern take daily showers just to feel good, but the traditional type of Chinese person still doesn't. Be grateful, because if 1.3 billion Chinese people took daily baths, there would be a severe water shortage. (2) Chinese people don't use much electricity. The greatest use of electricity in a Chinese home is probably the TV (nationwide) and refrigerator (for city folks). So to heat up a water heater for a bath you need once a week isn't worth the trouble to them. They wash dishes in cold water too.]


No comments: