Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Significant

He practically snarled at me when I got off the bus in his part of town. Not the dog, but the man. What was I, a foreign woman, doing in his part of town? I did not "belong" in his village area on the outskirts of the city. 

I had arrived there early (or, rather, those I was to meet arrived quite late). I stood around awkwardly in the hot sun with nothing to do while waiting for my friends to arrive, drawing unwanted attention. I finally found a seat inside a pharmacy and waited there for half an hour. In exchange for the seat I bought some aspirin … for the headache that had come upon me. My friends finally arrived; together we left the bus stop area and went elsewhere.

The following day I returned. I stepped off the bus and there, once again, was the man and his dog. I had a surprised look on my face, to see them again two days in a row like that. When the man realized that the foreign woman actually RECOGNIZED him from the day before, he couldn't contain the smile on his face or the enthusiasm in his demeanor. We were suddenly like best friends, and he wanted me to take photos of him and his dog together. (I'm not sure if he thinks I am going to return with a photo to give him or if he just wanted to create a lasting token of his presence on this earth for me to enjoy. I get this "take my picture" request from strangers all the time.)

I can't help but think that people just want to be regarded as significant, in any small way as they can achieve it. They want to be memorable, to have an impact in the hearts and minds of others. 
And now that these two are on my blog, I suppose I will, indeed, remember them forever.

(So glad I don't have to pay for whatever feeds that monster dog, aren't you?! My little Mimi costs an arm and a leg to feed, and this one is WAY bigger.)

No comments: