Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving

Last Thanksgiving, I was at the doctor's office getting an I.V. and fighting a bad lung infection, so it didn't take much for this Thanksgiving to be a whole lot better.

As you can see, I went all out on Thanksgiving decorations. I am one step up from pathetic.

I figured watching Christmas movies would be a good start to the day. So I watched "A Christmas Story" which I dug out of my cabinet. I watched it on my VCR, because it is a VHS tape. It was pretty grainy, but fun.
I first saw this movie at the movie theater in 1983, at Seminary South Mall Theater in Fort Worth. I went with my brother and a dorm friend from grad school named Connie. We knew nothing about the movie, and after the first five minutes we discussed leaving. It looked really boring. We'd already paid for our tickets though, so we stuck it out. By the time it was over we were crying and laughing hysterically. It has since become an American modern Christmas classic. I enjoyed watching the movie today and being reminded of when childhood was a simpler thing than it is in our electronic times.
 And then I made some pumpkin bread. It made a big mess in my small kitchen.
Then I wrapped them as gifts. (Just because I am eating gluten-free and sugar-free, doesn't mean the rest of the world has to.)
Also today I talked with my parents on Skype, gave my dog a bath out of necessity, and had a new office chair delivered to me. It's not a holiday here, so I wasn't ruining anyone's holiday by making them deliver my chair to me.

A random Thanksgiving memory:
In second grade I was in a play that we performed for other classes including 6th graders. I was either Prudence, Constance or Patience; one of those weird Pilgrim names. Only seven of us were chosen for this play, because we always finished our work early and the teacher had to give us something to do so we wouldn't be bored.

Ya'll have fun eating turkey and watching football!

OH! I almost forgot to tell you that I had a turkey meal with 16 American friends (10 adults, 6 kids) last Sunday. Several adults had to work on Thanksgiving Day, so we gathered on the weekend. So no need to feel too sorry for me or anything!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Was that Connie Arrington?

Unknown said...

Was that Connie Arrington?

E said...

Yes, it was Connie Arrington! Do you keep in touch with her? I lost touch with her after grad school.

I have a good Thanksgiving memory with you too…when we drove from Fort Worth to west Texas for Thanksgiving. The trip was so long you realized you probably could have gone home to Iowa for the same amount of effort. And the desert landscape was a bit unusual for you. And the weather was atrocious and the roads were icy and dangerous. But we loved having you for the holidays anyway! :-)