Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Northern Thailand - Lodging

This is the retreat center where I stayed last week in northern Thailand. I didn't have time to do much retreating, unfortunately, but it was a lovely place nonetheless. At least it was lovely outdoors (the indoors, log cabins, were rustic and only had the basic amenities; not the cleanest). The pool was lovely to look at but (a) I don't wear swimsuits, and (b) if I did wear swimsuits, I wouldn't get in the water. There are lots of kids staying at this place. And you can tell me all day long that chlorine kills what other people put into the water, but I am not buying it.
 Here are the log cabins, built according to traditional architecture.
 Nice walkways.
 Places to sit outdoors.
Shoes were not allowed in the dining hall. (It's not a restaurant; they cook 3 meals a day for those who stay at the retreat center, and you just eat what they serve.)
If this place looks familiar, it is because I've stayed here before; every year for the past 3 or 4 years. It is run by a non-profit organization, costs around $20 per night, and you probably can't stay there (or maybe you can; depends on what you are doing over here).
 Checker/chess board is built into the table. (Pretty common in Asia.)
Some people hang out their swimwear and towels to dry. Free laundry service was provided, but for those who swim often, rinsing out your own swimwear is faster.
 Water tower.
Geckos. They are supposed to be our friends, eating bugs. But they are still kind of freaky when they are running around in your cabin.

I used to think northern Thailand was remote and unexplored. I was so wrong. In town, you'll find Mexican food, expensive burger joints, malls, international schools, excellent American-style grocery stores, lots of Starbucks -- has more American stuff than many of your own American towns have. The neighborhoods are rustic and quaint, but this is by no means the ends of the earth.

No comments: