Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Hectic fall

"Lord willing and the creek don't rise," I'll be back in 'Texas for vacation exactly three weeks from right now. I have a lot to do before then, and I'm not talking about Christmas shopping.

I am going on a quick trip to Taiwan early next week. Four days.

Then after getting back on Wednesday evening late, I have a party at my place on Saturday -- a Christmas party on the first Saturday in December.

About right now is when you are supposed to remind me not to ever have big crowds at my house because it stresses me out like a cat caught in a corner by a bulldog. I've told you over and over again to remind me never to do this again.

But inviting young Chinese adults to my house for Christmas is a tradition that reaps year-long benefits and helps build friendships. Despite the time crunch of having a party so soon after an international trip, and so soon before another international trip, I'm planning to do it anyway. I might lose my mind. Pray for me (I am totally not kidding … please pray for me.)

I do have a plan though. I pre-made my cookie and cupcake mixes last night. If I was in America, I'd run down to the grocery store and buy boxed mixes; yes I would! I might or might not be able to find a Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines cake/cookie mix here if I rode my e-bike 40 minutes across town in 40-something degree weather to the import grocery store, but it would cost me at least eight bucks per box and I probably don't need to remind you that money doesn't grow on trees. So, I made my own mixes, (since the other alternative, making your own money, is illegal) and when I am ready to really make them into something edible, I just add butter, eggs, vanilla and water (kind of what you do with a boxed mix) and stick it in an oven that's only a little bit bigger than a toaster oven. I can make six cupcakes at a time and about 8-10 cookies at a time. It will take forever to make enough goodies to feed a house full of 20-somethings. I'm still thinking it is worth it though. I sure hope so.

[If you want to make these cookie mixes, I recommend this website. For the yellow cake mix, try this website. You need to remember the websites, because if you ever decide to make these a second time, you may forget the ingredients needed in the dry mixes.]

Since I'll be in America for Christmas, and because my Christmas tree died in this past summer's heat wave, I will not be decorating for Christmas. I might find one or two little things to decorate for the party. My friends won't care.

This week my plan is to go across town to the import store to buy butter.  I figure I'll need 8-10 sticks of butter. (Here, they cost $2.50 per stick of butter. How much do they cost in America?) I'll have to start baking as soon as I get back from Taiwan. And this week I'll need to figure out party favors. Usually I get Christmas stockings and fill them with goodies, but I really need a more simple solution this year. Does anyone have any ideas? (Feel free to share ideas in comments. No one ever writes comments on here. I promise that no evil will befall you if you leave a comment. I pre-screen comments before they are posted, so there may be a short delay between the time you write and the time it is posted.)

I'll keep you posted on how things go.

2 comments:

Kim Doan said...

I'm a loser and just now getting into this whole commenting on a blog thing! Anyway, for your party gifts, you could give each person a coupon of something you could do with/for them over the next year...have a cup of coffee/tea, take a walk, watch a movie, make cookies/treat for them, share a meal....that would set you up for another interaction and opportunity to talk! You probably already have done this...., make some hot chocolate mix and place it in a baggie with an inexpensive mug? My grandmother used to always talk about getting nuts and oranges in her stocking....lol! I should've read this earlier and sent you some stuff....I'll get busy on next years party! Lol!

E said...

I got a comment on my blog! I'm so excited I almost spilled my morning coffee! Thanks for these excellent ideas Kim. I think the cocoa mix in a mug thing would work the best for me. I probably can find a place that sells mugs for cheap in this ceramic-making-country. I'm going to try at least. I'm so glad I asked and you answered!