Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Summer travels in the south

This past summer, I traveled in the southern part of this country and have a few snapshots to share with  you.

Above is the 21st century version of a rickshaw, sometimes called a bicycle taxi, even though it is clearly more of a tricycle taxi. I estimate that I see many more luxury cars than rickshaws in this country of contrasts, but both are around. The man in this rickshaw was very friendly. He has his face covered with his cardboard fan, but otherwise the shy guy didn't mind being in my photo shoot.
Drink stands are popular year round. People buy flavored sweetened milk tea (mostly) with the small chewy tapioca balls, or "pearls" in the cups. It's called pearl milk tea in China (called bubble tea in some places like Taiwan). The heat index was around 108°F on this day, so people were looking for cold drinks to ease their pain. (Pearl milk tea can be served hot or cold.)
The cigarette sellers thought they would decorate their shop with empty cigarette cartons stacked like Legos. I bet they thought this was pretty. And maybe it would be if it were not, you know, cigarettes. I'd give them an A for effort, and perhaps lower marks for art materials. Not that I should be appointed to give out art awards anyway ... oh my, art was like my worst class ever.

In unrelated news, my 55-year-old next-door neighbor is screaming and pounding on the door at this very moment because her 5-year-old grandson is inside and locked her out of the house on purpose. He's in major trouble. That little kid is something else. :-)

No comments: