Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My favorite holiday here

It's just like Thanksgiving!

Without the pilgrims. Or the gratitude. Or the turkey and dressing.

Okay, never mind, it's nothing like Thanksgiving.

Except it does fall on a Thursday this year.

It's Mid-Autumn Festival this Thursday, the 19th. The weather is crisp and cool, and people all head home for a big meal (ah, finally, that part sounds familiar). Then after dinner, the tradition is to sit outside or take a walk under the big bright full moon and eat mooncakes (pictured). Besides Chinese New Year, this is the most important holiday on their calendar.

The mooncakes have the consistency of American-style fruitcakes, but the fillings tend to be more nutty and creamy than fruitcakes. (I don't love mooncakes, but they are lots better than American Christmas fruitcakes in my opinion.) I had a mooncake yesterday with coconut filling, so now for the first time ever, I can truly say I like a mooncake. People stand in long lines outside this particular mooncake bakery to buy the tasty treats.

I gave a box of these yummy mooncakes to my Chinese friends Hank* and Luella* yesterday; they were pretty excited to get some without having to wait in line. Please keep their family in your prayers as Hank faces an uphill battle against the beast known as pancreatic cancer. Pray they will have a sweet holiday time together.

No comments: