Friday, September 20, 2013

Curious me

The question just begs to be asked.

What exactly are they DOING over at the monastery? (I bet you ask yourself that question every day.)

This young monk was spotted at a sporting goods store, holding his iPhone up at the knee and elbow support section, asking his friend on the other end of the line which product he needed. Shopping by phone if you will. He was using Skype, no doubt. He then picked a knee pad and tried it on his knee.

For a minute I wondered if he was going to pilfer the product, because with it under his robe no one would notice, and anyway people would be too afraid to accuse a monk of shoplifting (for the record, he did NOT steal it; of course how could he when I was standing there watching every move he made; I'm sure he didn't require me to be there to be his conscience, yet there I was anyway).

What do they do at a monastery all day everyday, and how do knee supports and iPhones fit into the picture? Do they have rules like "turn off your cell phones during chanting practice?" Because if they do, these may be normal people like us.

I just want to know.

No comments: