Monday, September 02, 2013

Fruits as deadly weapons

Do you recognize this fruit? It is durian. If you have ever been near one, you'd probably remember it. It stinks horribly. When I walk into a grocery store and my gag reflexes activate, it is usually because they have durian for sale. Many hotels in this country have signs that ban guests from carrying durian into their hotel rooms. It is that bad. Slicing one open looks to be a dangerous pursuit. I avoid them. The above photo? That's the closest I've ever come to one in 18 years of living in Asia. And I did it just for you.

In related news,* I saw with my own eyes a small porcupine in my apartment complex last week. For context, there are no wild animals in this country, at least not in the superbly overpopulated eastern half of the country. You have to travel to the countryside to see pigs. I saw cows on a riverbank once (I was on a boat). There are not even cockroaches. And I live pretty much smack-dab in the middle of a city of about 8 million people. So how the heck did a porcupine get here? It's a mystery.

*What? Can't you see the resemblance between a durian and a porcupine? Makes sense to me. :-)

No comments: