Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Reeds, fish, boats and rice

Today is the Duan Wu (dwahn woo) Festival in China. But since that's hard for foreigners to say, in English it is called the Dragon Boat Festival.

Dragon boats will be racing today, but I'm not bored enough to go see them. I saw them a few years ago.  Boats in the shape of canoes, with a carved dragon head on one end of each, filled with people I don't know, race each other. (Yawn.)

The legend of the holiday involves a depressing plot involving civil unrest, suicide, and fish eating a dead body, followed by people throwing rice into the lake so the hungry fish would leave the dead body alone -- leaving me feeling a little cold as far as holidays go in China. It's best just to enjoy a day off and not think about the origins.

My neighbors in Bamboo Forest like to hang reeds from the lake on their front doors (see photo above). They didn't do this in Bedrock. These long reeds are for sale on the sidewalks outside the veggie markets. I'm not sure of the significance of the reeds, but I assume it has something to do with the lake in the legend.

I love me some Chinese culture, but for most Chinese holidays, it's really best not to remember the reason for the season.

P.S. The red banners on my neighbor's door are leftover from Chinese New Year decorating. It's kind of like people in America leaving up their Christmas lights all year.

P.S.S. Sorry if I made you yawn when I mentioned the word yawn. But truthfully, it's always a good thing to get more oxygen into your brain. So, you know, you're welcome.

No comments: