Monday, June 16, 2014

Thailand Neighborhood

I'm in Thailand (surprise, surprise) for the third time since November. I'll be back here again in July. I rarely have free time when I am here, but I found some time this trip to stroll through a typical low economic neighborhood in northern Thailand's city of Chiang Mai. Have a look.


Random altars can be seen all over town, even in old neighborhoods. Most Thais are Buddhists.
Something about this place reminds me of other neighborhoods I've seen before, maybe some in Mexico or even in places in Texas.
 Rustic outdoor cafe.
 One very smelly canal runs through the neighborhood.
 A man breaks open a coconut.
I was walking through the neighborhood when I came upon this humongous brick stupa. It looks pretty old, but maybe it is just not well taken care of. It seemed out of place in the neighborhood.
Just when I thought I was in the middle of nowhere, I saw this coffee shop … right across the street from the stupa. I guess I wasn't in as remote a place as I imagined!
Then I came out and there was a main road. You'll see that Chiang Mai has mountains around the city.
Transportation, old and new!

No comments: