Thursday, August 29, 2013

Trunk envy


Just remember ... someone always has it worse than you. And often times, I am that person ... that person that makes you feel good about yourself and causes you to appreciate all that you have as part of your comfy American/Australian lifestyle. :-) Haha!

This was my life this week.

(Top photo) I went grocery shopping at a French-owned chain store that somewhat resembles Super Wal-Mart. I put the two biggest and heaviest bags in the space designed to park my legs. Another bag hung over the left handlebar. Because there was no place for my legs, I had to keep them elevated all the way home (30 minutes through crowded bicycle lanes). By the time I got back, my legs hurt like I'd been riding a horse. Seriously, I have arthritis or something, so it is very uncomfortable.

(Bottom photo) I went across town to a home furnishings shop. It is about 45 minutes from my place, and requires going through the most crowded part of downtown. I was hoping to get home before rush hour, and before it started raining -- I succeeded this time, but my timing is not always so great. On this shopping trip, I had two bags in the leg area and one bag on each handlebar. Very awkward. Luckily the big white bag between me and the dashboard was a big pillow, kind of like a safety air bag that has already been inflated.

If I had wanted to go to another store while I was on that side of town, I would have been out of luck. I would have to make another trip on another day. Hopefully a day when it wasn't raining. Each trip usually ends up taking 3-4 hours. Shopping like this is wearisome and time-consuming. And both trips were taken when the heat index was around 110°F, as it has been day and night most of the summer.

So, just be glad you've got a trunk, or space in the back of your SUV, or whatever you have. And I'll take heart that I have a super-trendy e-bike with lime green tire rims that is far better than a bicycle with a tiny little basket attached to the front!

Feel free to comment if you really do have it worse than this. :-)

No comments: