Friday, March 29, 2013

Week in review

Here is my week in review:

The 19-year old son of one of my good friends from high school died in a car wreck last Friday night. It's been on my mind all week. I don't really know what we are supposed to do to bear one another's burdens, but I felt like I should try to imagine life in her shoes. And since for her the world has stopped, I thought I should take a few days to stop and acknowledge that the world will never be the same. Pray for RT and her family as they bury her son in a few hours.

It feels like winter here. It feels colder now than it did during the real winter, and I think this is because of the moisture in the air (spring rainy season) coupled with strong winds. So I have not enjoyed getting out much this week. And the sun didn't shine much at all.

The only good grocery store in my neighborhood that had several American products closed down. It was near a massive road construction project, and traffic couldn't get there to keep the store in business. Now I have to go a lot further to buy what I need.

Mimi's morning walk today got halted by the presence of a gorilla-size dog who came out at the same time, unleashed as usual. That big dog looks at Mimi like she's a Big Gulp. I have to pick up Mimi and throw her over my shoulder like a baby and run when I see that dog.

I sent out a newsletter this week. If you didn't get one, write and let me know your e-mail address. Lots of emails bounced, and my own parents didn't even get it (I know for sure I have their email address right; I don't know why it has so much trouble getting through to some people). If you want to leave me your email address on a comment, please know that all comments come to me before they are published (for approval), and I will be careful not to publish any comment that has an email address in it.

Last summer I broke down and got on Facebook. First I got my college friends on, along with a few Colorado friends. I wanted to see how Facebook worked before I committed to use it much. Then a little later I connected with my Australian friends. In the last week, I've finally connected with some of my old hometown friends. Facebook is part wonderful and part weird. For 30 years or more, I didn't know a thing about my old friends...didn't even know if some were dead or alive. And now for some I know the exact spot where they had lunch yesterday! It leaves me with that Twilight Zone kind of feeling. I reserve the right to ignore Facebook at any point in my life when it starts to overwhelm...like it did a few weeks ago.

There you have it, my week in review. Some days are more exciting than others, and this week wasn't really very exciting at all.

No comments: