Monday, March 25, 2013

Spring's rainy season


Saturday afternoon after meeting up with my local friends at a teahouse, I walked alone through the cold, slow spring rain. Rainy days are about the only days you can walk along a path and not run into crowds of people, so I walked as slowly as possible, to take it all in without interruption. The pink buds on the trees and the bright green hue of newborn leaves on the trees made the otherwise gray day seem bright and hopeful. 

I thought back to the old days of walking through the rain in the Middle Kingdom … when walking through mud to get to work or biking through potholes of undetermined depth made it more treacherous than inspiring. This is better.

Having grown up in a desert (where, you know, seldom is heard a discouraging word and the skies are not cloudy all day), I usually have mixed feelings about rain and the depressing clouds that accompany it. It's not going away though, so I'm trying to learn to like it.

Our second rainy season comes in mid-summer, during typhoon season.
 

iOSx photos

No comments: