Monday, February 18, 2013

One down, one to go

The women on the right are buying bundles of incense prior to entering the neighborhood Buddhist temple (gold building in the rear on the left side). They will burn the bundles and "pray" for good luck during the coming year. Red candles, also for sale at this table, are also burned inside the temple. Not everyone does this ritual, just some Buddhists (or people who are not Buddhists but hope to garner some kind of good luck anyway.) This temple is on my block and I can see it from my balcony.
The first week of Chinese New Year is over. One more week to go. This year's holiday hasn't seemed as chaotic as most. I think this is because:

  • The holidays fell at a good time so that lots of people could travel to other places. Most of my neighbors have been gone for over a week, and I like it when it's quiet!
  • It didn't rain on the actual first day of the new year, but it's a 15-day holiday and it has been raining most of the week. It's raining right now. The fire hazard from fireworks is greatly reduced when there is rain. Sure, I had my emergency evacuation kit ready by the front door the other night just in case, but I didn't have to use it.

[What exactly does one put into an emergency evacuation kit? 

For Mimi - leash, dog food, bottled water, drinking bowl, clothing in case we're stranded outside overnight and she gets cold.

For me - flashlight, money, cell phone, cell phone charger, gloves, scarf, hat, jacket, socks, earmuffs, shoes, and a change of clothes, lock box of valuables.]

No comments: