Friday, February 01, 2013

I got you covered

To buy food for my picky diva dog, I have to go to a pet store at a mall across town. So today I was putting on my jacket, gloves and scarves to go purchase food for her.

She looked up at me with big eyes, in panic, liked she'd been shot through the heart with an arrow. "You're going to do WHAT?" she might as well have been saying. "You're going to LEAVE ME??!!!!!!"

Silly dog, by now you ought to know I love you, and I will always come back to you. But dogs are not allowed in the mall, so in order to prepare food for you, I have to separate myself with you for a little while. Our separation is not a sign of desertion, it is an indication that I love you enough to go for away a few hours and buy you that expensive imported Japanese dog food you crave so much. Why can't you understand? I am leaving because I care about you and I want to do something special for you.

But I do understand how you feel. And now I kind of understand what Jesus meant too when he said, "I go to prepare a place for you." He didn't leave here (earth) because he was tired of the human race, he didn't leave here because he'd forgotten about us, had better things to do with his time or felt he'd finished that chapter of his life, wanting to move on to other things. He left earth because HE LOVES US and because HE IS TAKING CARE OF US. I bet he wishes we would understand that better.

And now I kind of do.


My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.”  
~ John 14:2-4 (NIV)

No comments: