Saturday, November 17, 2012

Modern Fever

I went to the doctor in Thailand on Wednesday to get a report from my earlier stay. I arrived early, and since there are two Starbucks inside the hospital, I got an extra hot latte to sip in the waiting room.

The nurse eventually came to get me. She took my blood pressure with her tourniquet malfunctioning blood pressure cuff. Ouch. She gave up on taking my blood pressure, which is fine because it is always on the low side of normal anyway.

Then she took my temperature and looked perplexed. 

"I have a fever, don't I?" I said chirpily.

She said I did. But testing my temperature was a routine measure and she knew that I shouldn't have a fever; she wondered if her thermometer was broken.

I pointed to my coffee cup. 

She sighed in relief.

No comments: