Sunday, December 28, 2008

Last Look at Christmas

The holidays are over, and every vestige of Christmas has been moved out of sight and into storage where I expect to find it again in two years (I think I will be in the USA for Christmas in 2009). I don't like to dilly-dally after Christmas is over. Like my parents, I like to clean house and have a new fresh look going into the new year. But I decided I'd post a few last photos of how things looked around Bamboo Forest during the holidays.

This is a little Santa village at a mall on the block where I live.

A neighbor who is originally from Taiwan was so excited about the holidays that he recruited other neighbors to post Christmas greetings on the pine tree he decorated outside his balcony area. I was going to make a big sign on my computer to put on the tree, but that's the day the electricity went out from one hour before daylight until one hour after daylight...grrrrrrrr. I never did have time after that to make the sign. Well, at least I had no company coming over the day the power went out. A few years ago my electricity was cut-off on Christmas Day when I had a housefull of guests coming for Christmas dinner. It was the most disastrous Christmas of my life, and has prompted me not to plan many subsequent holiday parties at my house.

I went to a Christmas party that was mostly attended by Bamboo Forest college students and young professionals. They learned ALL about Christmas at this party. But here they are playing musical chairs, which has nothing at all to do with Christmas, but everything to do about pushing people out of your way for fun! :-)

This photo was also taken at the party. The two girls are young professional engineers. And then there is Santa. Santas in China are a little scary looking, because most of them don't have the broad waistline to pull this off believably, including this one.

I gave up digging up real live trees in the forest several years ago due to the intense strain and stress associated with such activity. Instead I have this pathetic artificial tree that was left behind by another American awhile back. As you can see, Mimi considers herself a gift, and although her arrogance is deplorable, I do indeed believe the little mutt is a gift from God. Haha!

To the left of the photo is a traditional Chinese stool (pronounced like mah-jah) that can be folded up and carried with you. They are so handy and convenient for sitting down. Just don't try standing on them, because the seat is made of cloth and won't support your weight like the stools you are more accustomed to will!

No comments: