Sunday, March 09, 2014

Busy and cold

Update on my life: I have been really busy, thus my longer-than-usual blog absences. And my feet are really cold these days. They are cold right now. Cold feet.

I have an American friend leaving town somewhat unexpectedly, so I told her I would take on a group of four junior high kids whom she was helping learn English. I went to their meeting place yesterday. I wore three layers on my feet, four layers below the waist, four layers above the waist … and then on top of all of that, I put on my down coat, down gloves and scarf. I still felt like a popsicle during the 1-1/2 hour lesson. I had to take off my gloves to write on the whiteboard, but we all wore our winter coats throughout the entire lesson.

I asked the kids if they were cold and they said no. They go to unheated schools, so they think cold is normal.

I already kind of wish I hadn't promised to take on this class. The kids are lovely, of course, but I find the cold conditions rather horrifying. Chinese people often ask me "你怕冷吗?" ("Are you scared of the cold?") And I always answer "yes."

No comments: