Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Valentine's Day = Chinese New Year

Would I kid you? Cupid and the Tiger are going to have to duke it out to see who wins the battle of the holiday icons this Sunday. February 14, 2010, ushers in the year of the Tiger.

Grrrrr and all that stuff.

This will be my first Chinese New Year on the mainland. For well over a decade I've spent every Chinese New Year in Thailand, against my will. But now I can finally enjoy the holiday atmosphere.

I did spend a couple of Chinese New Year's in Hong Kong, back in 1996 and 1997. But it is celebrated much differently there. And it is hot in Hong Kong. Which brings me to my next subject.

It's cold outside! It is raining here, the wind is blowing, and the temperature is not all that far above the freezing mark. I had to ride my e-bike (electric bike) out in the rain across town this morning, and though I am back in my warm, dry apartment with a cup of hot decaf coffee, I still have not recovered.

My Chinese friends tell me that they love really cold weather during the holiday season. They must be thrilled today.

I bought 20 long-stem red roses today for US$9.00. I was annoyed at the price, but they told me the price is jacked up for Valentine's Day.

I bought them for my own house. There's no law that says you can't buy flowers for your own place. {Think outside the box!}

Hope you all have a happy Chinese New Year! Celebrate!

No comments: