Sunday, February 14, 2010

Thoughts on a New Year's Day

It's the Year of the Tiger, and these red stuffed ones wave to the passersby on the street.

Taylor is an intern with my company for six months. She is 20 years old. I feel blessed by her cheerful company. We spent at least 8 hours together this weekend taking photos and doing research in the bitter cold. We rode bikes, stood in the snow, met some Tibetans, and made sure we ate lots of Chinese food for Chinese New Year.

Although I can keep up with a 20-year old by day, by night I fall apart. I wonder if she has aches and pains, needs heating pads and pain relievers to get her through to another day. Probably not. Right now every muscle in my body hurts, and I'm cold. I'm not sure I would want to do this research again next year, but I'm really glad we did it today. I had a great time.

The only downer was seeing with renewed clarity the lostness around me.

No comments: