Sunday, August 09, 2009

Miss Smarty Pants

Last night I was having dinner with friends, and the topic of my dog Mimi came up. I mentioned that dogs can be humiliated if they look bad (say, for example, they get a buzz haircut and people laugh at and ridicule them). I told my friends that Mimi can tell when other dogs have been to the groomer, feels jealous of this, and afterwards patiently lets me give her a shampoo/cut/blowdry without moving a muscle so she too can be a pretty dog in the neighborhood.

My friends didn't say what they were probably thinking, "this crazy dog-loving lady has a screw loose." (That's why they call them "friends," they don't insult you to your face.) I would have thought the same in my pre-Mimi years of life.

Today I read an article about dogs on the internet. It says that dogs have the general smarts of a 2-year old child, would trump a 3 or 4-year old child in mathematics, and have the socialization skills of a teenager. And what teenager doesn't compare their clothes and grooming to another teenager! See, I was right!

If you want to read the entire article, cut and paste this link in your web browser: http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090808/sc_livescience/dogsassmartas2yearoldkids

Meems has an amazing rubbery, stretchy neck that can contort (see photo above). I don't understand it, but I'm thinking of selling her to a circus. (Hahaha, no way, just kidding. How much do you think they would pay?)

No comments: