Friday, July 31, 2009

Heartbreaking Tale

If you want to know more about what China is really like, I suggest you read the following news story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/5907368/Wave-of-suicide-sweeps-Chinas-graduate-class.html

(You may have to cut and paste this link in order to view it.)

It talks about suicide, and underlying issues of poverty, unemployment, hopelessness, marriageability, and unconsolable grief. I got choked up reading it, because it reminded me of so many I have known in this country who have faced these same kinds of issues, and reminds me of their tragic--practically non-existent--coping mechanisms. I think of former students, current acquaintances, and others who feel so depressed and so out of control. This one story can tell you quite a lot about what life is like for more of the average Chinese than you would dare imagine. If you want to pray for China, pray for hopeless people like Ms. Liu. They come in all ages, male and female.

Note: 6.8 yuan = US$1

No comments: