Sunday, December 23, 2012

Party time

I expected two people to show up for today's Christmas party, four max. I made fudge, Rice Krispie treats, and yellow cupcakes with cherry frosting (not shown). I figured what I had was overkill. No need to obsess like I usually do for parties.

I made green tea for the drink. I considered apple cider or hot chocolate, but they are not very gung-ho about too much sugar here, and the tea would be the only thing I offered without sugar. It was an excellent and popular choice. 


I printed out game sheets, Christmas carols and other party activities. I printed out 9 of each, figuring the rest would go in the trash can.

One young woman showed up fifteen minutes early. After she arrived, I got a knock on my door. It was the 15-year old downstairs neighbor with a cake in a box. I tutor this boy in English for free each week (twice this past week). The cake was a Christmas gift from his mom. It was beautiful and delicious. The timing was unexpected, and unnecessary even, since only a few people would show up to eat it.


 Later I would discover that the delivery of the cake was a bit of a miracle.

Because besides this one young woman who showed up early, eleven others came. There were 13 of us altogether. It was rather cozy in my not-so-large living room.



Or perhaps I should say there were 14 of us, because Mimi was a really good sport when all these people invaded her territory without her previously issuing them entrance visas. She only barked at them for the first half hour of the 3-1/2 hour long marathon party.

Mimi and I are now completely and totally exhausted. If tomorrow and the next day were not holidays, we'd probably be taking sick days to recover!

No comments: