Sunday, May 27, 2012

Reality Check


Lest my last post left you with the impression that everyone in the Middle Kingdom is filthy rich these days, this post is meant to bring you back down to reality.

I read just this morning that there are 100 million people in this country who live below the poverty level, and poverty is defined by the government here as living off of $1 (US dollar) or less per day. Anyone who is living off $2 or more per day is not included in the list of impoverished. In this country, I would be hard pressed to even find a single meal that cost less than $1. I don't know how those 100 million people, or those who are doing only slightly better, survive.

This picture was taken on the street in front of my apartment complex. I see way more poverty than BMW's.

No comments: