Monday, May 07, 2012

Home Sweet Pile of Bricks





Dear village, your quaint beauty once charmed us all, but you were standing in the way of progress. We have subways to build, shopping centers to surround the entrances of said subway stations, and you just don’t fit into the city plan. So down you go!


Brick by brick, workers disassemble and carry away the old city and the memories it holds. And despite the aggravation and danger recent years have brought me as I tried to navigate through town amidst this oversized mess, my sacrifice was nothing compared to that of these village dwellers. It was surely hard for long-time residents to say goodbye to their neighbors who have been dispersed to different neighborhoods around the city.

Well, anyway, I can’t take it anymore. I head to the brand new shopping center across the street from the mess pictured above and find temporary respite in a soft sofa and a cup of coffee. Progress…hmmm…maybe it is not so bad after all!

No comments: