Tuesday, November 01, 2011

My Neighborhood

The two buildings on the right are in my apartment complex. My apartment complex is huge, and exists on both sides of the canal (has several bridges).
Here's another view of my apartment complex. I live in one of the shorter buildings (eleven stories high).
In the little paved alleyway in my neighborhood, there are little shops like this one that sell house shoes, vinegar, soy sauce, eggs, rice, drinks, etc.
Here's a little barber shop. The guy getting his haircut saw me taking his picture (from his view in the mirror).
Here's the paved alleyway. My apartment entrance is on the left, past the building. The guy who sits along the sidewalk sells eggs. 

I like my neighborhood. The apartment complex is modern and nice. The surroundings are old-fashioned and quaint. If I go out the front gate, I can be at a park whether I turn left or right. The alleyway runs between two of the main roads in town, making it convenient to transportation. I am near the center of town, so I can travel in any direction and see interesting things. As far as I know, there are only two other foreigners who live in my part of town, but I never ever see them. There are THOUSANDS of foreigners in this city, but they all live in one of two districts that cater to foreigners. If I am going to live overseas, I prefer to mix with the locals rather than live in one of those foreigner districts, as long as it is practical to do so (and so far it is). I am thankful for my housing situation.

No comments: