Sunday, November 20, 2011

Fall in Bamboo Forest

 A tree-lined bus stop area.
Falling leaves along the bike path.


I'm back from my trip to Thailand. I'm clearly allergic to that country, as I catch a cold 9 out of 10 times that I go there.


Anyway, I didn't want to be gone long from Bamboo Forest, because fall is the most beautiful time of year here. I looooooovvvvve it.


There's a Christian bookstore at a government-sanctioned church here, and they sell Bibles, calendars, and a few little tidbits (nothing extravagant like Christian bookstores in America). I went to get a calendar today. A lady who appeared to be in her 60s stopped me to chat. She wanted to know if all Americans were Christians, because that's what she'd heard. "No," I told her, "some are and some are not." I told her how I had made my decision to follow Christ when I was young, but it is each person's decision and some don't make it for Christ. She was shocked to know that all Americans were not believers. I guess that in the same way we think all Israeli citizens are Jews and all Saudi Arabians are Muslims and all Tibetans are Buddhists, she thought all Americans were Christian.


Today was not the first time I had heard that question. Many people here think that way. You know, they watch the movies that come out of Hollywood (face it, most are not very "clean" at all) and think that's how Americans/Christians live their lives. They think we call ourselves followers of Christ and live like the devil. No wonder some are not very interested in hearing the Message. Oh, I try to tell them that most of us don't live like it shows in the movies, but they don't really believe it. So, though sometimes I fail, I try my best to be living proof in their midst.

No comments: