Thursday, June 04, 2009

Really?

Today is the 20th Anniversary of the incident at Tiananmen Square.  

I was watching CNN yesterday as they did a "piece" on Tiananmen Square.  As soon as they finished they said, "the coverage on Tiananmen Square that you just saw was blacked out [by the Chinese govt.] so that our viewers in China could not see it."  Really?  Where am I?  I could have sworn I was sitting in my living room in China, and I saw every bit of it.

They showed the same thing an hour later, along with the same accusing comment that it had been blacked out.  They showed it a third time.  I saw it every time...not blacked out.

Then, CNN reported that websites like Hotmail were blacked out in China in the lead up to the anniversary.  Really?  I ran to my computer, connected to my China internet server and loaded Hotmail, accessing my Hotmail account immediately, no problem at all.  

This morning I was watching BBC's report on Tiananmen Square.  The BBC reporter said that as he was speaking to us live, the government had blacked out BBC so it couldn't be seen in China.  Really?  How was it that I was in China listening to him tell me I couldn't see it?  Am I stupid?  Are they?  Are they lying because they think people outside of China won't know the difference?

I feel I can't trust anything I watch on the news.  Perhaps you shouldn't believe everything you hear about this country on your news either.

No comments: