Saturday, April 07, 2007

Utility Futility


The water went out in my apartment Thursday morning at 10:30 a.m. Apparently some poor young man who has no training was given the controls of a piece of heavy machinery, and he promptly busted the main water pipe in this part of town. I prayed for this young man, that his next job would be more in line with his set of skills, in order that we might all be happier. (Uh, surely he is not the same man who pulled this exact same stunt this time last year.)
Anyway, to repair the pipe, they had to use concrete, which takes two days to dry before it is exposed to water. So I went all day Thursday and all day Friday without water (and was told it would be Saturday before the water came back). In case you haven’t thought about it lately, here are the things you cannot do without water: bathe, wash your hair, brush your teeth, flush, wash veggies, wash dishes, cook, clean, wash your hands. It was not a happy couple of days. I finally broke down Friday night and took a bottled water shower. I bought six bottles of bottled water from the store and used them to wash my hair and take a shower. It was not easy nor pleasant nor warm. Not even 60 seconds had passed after my bottled water shower when the real water supply came back on…albeit green, disgusting, and a day earlier than what they had said. I was glad to have it back, regardless of color. So, after the water came back on, it was bedtime so I went to bed. I woke up this morning early to get ready for a trip that started early, and the ELECTRICITY was off!! What crummy luck I have. My landlord is supposed to pay the electricity on a pre-paid system, and once again he didn’t do it, and he didn’t answer his phone when I called him at some unearthly hour of the morning. I got dressed in the dark. Living in a developing country is a test of patience, that’s all I can say.
This photo was taken today in the countryside. I prefer a washing machine to handwashing in a river, but at least these ladies had water, something I couldn't say for the past two days! :-)

No comments: