Saturday, March 31, 2007


Last October, McDonald’s finally arrived here in Bedrock. We have three successful KFC’s, and now McDonald’s makes four “foreign” franchises in town; we have no others. I’ll faint in shock if Pizza Hut, Starbucks, or DQ make it here like they have made it to bigger cities in this country. Here in Bedrock, KFC is packed out at all hours of the day. These people love chicken. The crowds at KFC, along with the blaring music, make it an impossible place to carry on a conversation though. But for whatever reason, McDonald’s is less crowded. It is the least crowded McDonalds I have ever seen. My American friends all fear it will close due to the lack of business. I’ve only known one other McDonald’s that closed, and that was in my hometown in west Texas. If this one closes too, I’m going to feel like it’s somehow my fault. :-) We foreigners in Bedrock like to go to McDonalds, because it is quiet, has a great view of the center of town, and is a good meeting place. We also like McDonalds because it is a sign of progress in this developing nation…we live in a city that is on its’ way up.

No comments: