Monday, January 13, 2014

The friendlies

While in the U.S. for vacation in December and early January, I got to see lots of friends, and here I'll introduce you to a few of them. Above is my childhood friend from Pecos, Kim. We were in the same grade in school, involved in many of the same activities, attended the same church and we both worked summers at the sulphur mine during college. When I was about 10, she helped save me from going under at a church swimming party, and in high school I paid her back for her kindness by hitting her in the head with a handbell and leaving a scar over her eyebrow. She is always a great encouragement to me despite the bodily damage I did to her, and I am so happy to have her as one of my lifelong friends.
I met Bruce when I was 16-years-old and my brother brought his HPU college roommate (Bruce) to a Pecos High School football game. I met Cindy two years later when we were both freshman at HPU. My brother and Bruce pretty much did everything together during college, and Cindy and I pretty much did everything together during college (with a group of other girls our age). And we ALL ran in the same social circle(s). Some years after college, Bruce and Cindy got married, and now they just live an hour away from my parents. I've probably done a better job of keeping up with Cindy than anyone else I know (especially before Facebook came along to make it easier for me to locate friends). These are lovely people with hearts of gold, and it's always great to see them and continue our long and beautiful friendship.
I love this lady. Meet Mrs. L, my parents' next-door neighbor. I'm sure we've lost count of how many times she has come to the rescue when we needed help (especially feeding the dogs -- INCLUDING MIMI that one time in 06-07 when she visited the U.S. -- and letting them out in the backyard when my parents were not home). She is SO NICE and humble, and I love her beautiful accent; she is originally from The Netherlands. I could visit with his 80-something lady every day. She is so very interesting. 
My mom had surgery just a few days before I got home from the hospital. The Pairs, who are in the same Sunday School class as my parents, came to visit one day. They are so kind and thoughtful -- and humorous too -- and we are always happy to be able to visit with them! I got to see them at church during my visit too.
The Richardsons are also in my parents' Sunday School class and we were thrilled to have a visit from them while I was home. Like the Pairs, they also check on my parents regularly, and are often sitting with my dad in the waiting room when my mom has surgery. Please stop and say a prayer for Martha who will be having knee replacement surgery on Tuesday (tomorrow)!
Christine and Evelyn also came for a visit while I was in the U.S. My mom met Christine, a physical therapist, after her knee replacement surgery several years ago; they have subsequently become friends. They don't live too far from us. East Texans may recognize the little blonde from local furniture commercials that she stars in.
Evelyn and Koko the poodle are apparently having afternoon tea while the adults visit. Koko, please just go ahead and wipe that festive look off your face. (She cheered up considerably when the red-colored party decorations were removed from around her neck.)

I regret not getting photos of the Dodsons and Wades whom I also visited while I was back. Fortunately, none of them look a day older than the last time I saw them, so as long as they keep up their youthful appearance, I'll get photos of them the next time around.

I was also glad to run into old friends and acquaintances at my parents' church while I was back.

There are so many others I'd love to catch up with. Right now the plan is for me to return to the U.S. for several months in the summer of 2015, so hopefully I can catch up with many of the rest of my American friends at that time. 

Australian friends, not sure when I'll get to catch up with you (sigh). 

No comments: