Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Dull


My mind is as dull as the grey skies outside. Day after day, I look out my big picture window and see wet-slicked pavement, bike riders wearing bright-colored raincoats and pedestrians carrying umbrellas. The elderly who usually play cards at the park downstairs are probably sitting at home, watching TV, bored out of their minds.

I want to be busy, check a bunch of work assignments off my to-do list, update my blog, finally answer long-unanswered emails or go out to meet new people. But I am overcome with rain-induced dullness.

On a dry day, it could take up to half an hour to get a taxi. On a rainy day, taxis are all full. I could stand outside an hour in the cold rain and still not flag one down.

I could take a bus, but it also requires long waiting times, only to get on a standing-room only bus next to people whose wet umbrellas and outerwear are pressed against my own. It feels yucky and disgusting.

The last available transportation option is my e-bike. I could don a brightly-colored rain poncho, but when I got to my destination, I would have to fold up the wet plastic, stuff it inside a bag, do my errands, unfold the wet thing and put it over my head (and bulky winter coat) again. It's messy.

You've probably got a car. You probably cannot fathom the lifestyle of someone like me who doesn't have one.

So I stay in, waiting for a break in the weather, jetting out the door the second it stops, hoping it will stop for at least an hour. I need groceries if nothing else.

A few times I went out to coffee shops hoping to meet new people, but the shops were basically empty. No one else wants to get out in this weather either.

I vowed I wouldn’t let the weather slow me down this winter. I am still trying to fight against failure. The next two weeks' forecast shows more rain, so I'm going to make an effort to overcome the dull days of winter in the Middle Kingdom.

Activities for a cold, rainy day

I went to the Marvel Comic book website and made myself into a comic Super Hero. I did it for a team-building project (i.e., I kinda had to do it...I can't see myself doing this for any other reason). What do you think? Do I look fashionable and scary?



You can go there too -- it's fast and free:
You get to choose your hair color, clothes, weapons, etc. but not your age, skin elasticity or body shape. So if it doesn't look true to my age, it isn't my fault. If you decide to make yourself into a Super Hero, send it to me so I can see! 

No comments: