Friday, August 13, 2010

Scorcher

June was moderate.

July was hot, sometimes rainy.

August is unbearably hot. One day the heat/humidity index was 129*F. I feel like I am inhaling steam when I breathe. It has been this way for a few weeks, and the 15-day forecast shows at least 15 more days like this.

The doctor told me to stay indoors with my air-conditioner to off-set my heat rashes. A friend said, "Yeah, but you've got to live." So, I'm trying to strike a balance.

The last time I recall feeling this hot was about 1980 in west Texas. The real temperature then got up to at least 114*F.

Many Chinese people I know can't afford an air-conditioner, or if they have one they can't afford to run it very often. Electricity bills can run pretty high. I run my A/C quite a lot, doctor's orders, but my sympathies go out to the people running around in their neighborhoods in their thin pajamas with wet towels over their heads. They are just trying to survive.

No comments: