Monday, May 03, 2010

My Train Trip


A couple of weeks ago I went on a train trip towards the interior of this country. I rode the train. My destination was one of the five wildly famous mountains in this country.

In the highly-developed area of this country where I live, there are really fast trains.

This trip, I did not take a fast train. I took the old, slower trains. They are dirty, the brakes screech, and they are somewhat crowded. They are fun in a quaint kind of way. Strangers talk to you on these kind of trains. They remind me of my life in this country ten years ago.

I rode the slow train because that was the only option. The fast trains only run near the big cities.

Saturday was the day to climb the mountain. But I woke up Saturday morning with a searing migraine headache. Not only did I NOT climb the mountain (nor even take the cable car), I stayed in bed and didn't see a blessed thing.

Twenty hours on the train, and the only photo I got was taken on Friday night at the bottom of the mountain. (That's not even the real mountain in the background...that's just a foothill.) I hate it when that happens.


No comments: