Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Moving Pains

Every bone in my body hurts. Despite months of daily exercise, there is obviously no workout that equals packing up your house by yourself.

Last year I took about 6 weeks to pack, so I did everything methodically and carefully. This time I have about 5 days to pack, so there is nothing careful or logical about it. Everything goes in a box, any box, quickly. Last night I even gave up labeling the boxes. Part of one box's contents may go in the kitchen, part in the office, part in the living room, etc.

Last year, I was leaving a city and people I had lived among for a dozen years. This year, I'm not saying goodbye to anyone. That part is easier. Last year I had to take Mimi on a bus for 8 hours to move. This year, by taxi it may take 8 minutes. That part is also easier.

Yes, I found an apartment finally. The kitchen pictured in the following blog post is it. It now has a gas stove in the kitchen, hot water heaters, and all the other missing pieces. It is a new place. It is slightly smaller than where I live now, but I'm going to like it.

The movers arrive in the morning. They have to take apart wardrobe closets and bookshelves, and reconstruct them in the new apartment. So moving will take part of 3 days to complete.

In other news, Mimi got her annual shots yesterday. She's been sleeping harder and more than usual. It's easier to pack when she is not underfoot.

If you wrote me an e-mail, sorry to say I don't have time to write much e-mail in the coming two weeks. I have time to read it, just no time to write back. Sorry. Gotta run!

No comments: