Thursday, July 05, 2018

Food for thought

Once I met a Chinese man who told me he had fought in the Korean War. He'd lost a few fingers during the war. But he told me not to worry, he didn't hold a grudge against me, an American. He said the Chinese soldiers were envious of the American soldiers at the time, because the Americans had food to eat, and the Chinese soldiers were starving. I'd never thought about how the availability of food could affect the outcome of a war. What was one of the key foods carried and eaten by those American soldiers he envied? Spam. It also was a staple for soldiers in WWII. Some people like to poke fun at and/or criticize the canned meat, but it played an important role in our history and may have more to do with your freedom than you realize. You don't have to eat it or like it, just give it a little respect. Spam entered the market 81 years ago today. 

No comments: