Sunday, November 05, 2017

Firewalls, VPNs, and the Internet

I waste half of every day trying to get my internet or VPN (virtual private network) to operate well enough so I can do my work.

If the internet itself is slow, there's no hope.

Sometimes the internet works fast enough, but the VPN is either overloaded or blocked by the government.

I need them both to work well at the same time.

Without the VPN, I cannot connect to Facebook, Instagram, this blog, ANY blog based outside of China, Google Search Engine, Twitter, YouTube, or most news sites. They are blocked by the government here.

Pretty much the only thing I can do without VPN is send email that the local government can see. I'm not writing anything on emails that they would be interested in, but still, no one likes their mail read by unintended receivers.

And it is slated to become even worse by February 2018.

It is exhausting.


No comments: