Sunday, June 04, 2017

African safari

Mongena Game Lodge at Dinokeng Game Reserve in northern South Africa, north of Pretoria
Zebras roamed freely at the lodge
The zebras are considered wild animals, and we were warned not to try to pet them, but it was not a problem to get near them to photograph them. 
The brush reminded me of central Texas. Dirt roads, dry brush, and medium-height trees were in the reserve. I was there in May, which is the first part of winter in South Africa. Mornings and evenings were quite chilly. 
That's a lion in the upper right quadrant of the photo. He's not in focus (sorry). He ate a warthog for dinner within a minute or two of me taking this photo. He was hungry. Lions like to eat anything with bones and blood. I'm thankful for a safari guide who is attuned to animal behavior and getaway techniques, and of course I'm thankful for the wart hog. RIP. 
The sun sets while on safari.
A wild ostrich. There were several, but the lighting was poor, so the photo isn't great.
Lots and lots of giraffes. 
Rhino
Zebras and other deer-like animals at the game lodge.
Individual cabins at the lodge. 

Interestingly, the cost of lodging, food and safari was less than the cost of a daily stay at a typical hotel in the U.S. If you can afford an airline ticket to South Africa, then the rest is easy, relatively speaking. The grounds were gorgeous, and I am thankful I got to go. I pinched myself a few times to make sure it was real. I was in jet lag most of the week I was there though. Bummer for that. 

No comments: