Saturday, October 06, 2012

Mid-Autumn


Last Sunday was Mid-Autumn Festival, my favorite holiday in this place. Most people go home on the evening of the festival to have a family reunion feast, which has a similar feel to our Thanksgiving gatherings back in the USA.

I too get together with my local family member, Mimi, on this holiday. We usually grab a moon cake, sit out under the full moon, and partake of the traditional desert, despite the fact that they are generally known for their horrible taste. But we feel more acculturated when we eat 'em. 

I decided this year not to waste any money on a moon cake that neither one of us really liked, and we went on an outing instead. I put Mimi in a front doggy backpack that she has outgrown. This sent her into a panic; she apparently thought she was being sent to the guillotine. But then when I hopped on my e-bike, she realized an adventure was to ensue, so she calmed down and had fun. She enjoys the wind whipping through her fur.

We only went a block on e-bike, and then we were at the riverside park at the moat. I let Mimi off the leash, and she ran around and had some fun. Some other dog owners strolled by and let Mimi socialize with their pets. 

Then we returned home by e-bike/backpack.

The things I like best about this holiday are (1) the autumn weather is awesome, (2) there is far less hype than Chinese New Year, (3) there are no fireworks, and (3) the streets are as quiet and deserted as they are ever going to be for the entire year.

But is autumn REALLY half over? Say it isn't so!!!!!

No comments: