Friday, July 01, 2011

Vacation

Other people’s idea of an awesome vacation: go lay out on a beach somewhere.

My idea of an awesome vacation: go lay out on my parents’ sofa in Texas.

So that’s what I did. The goal of my 3-week vacation was to visit good ‘ol mom and dad. Mission accomplished.

As it turned out, I didn’t get around to contacting friends in the USA. I just rested and recuperated. Half the vacation I was in jet lag, falling asleep on the sofa at odd times of the day. Jet lag and I don’t have a good relationship.

I expect to be in the USA for two months next summer starting in July, so I hope to catch up with friends in the Texas area at that time.

I was not sure I could afford to go to the USA for vacation, but I prayed about it and felt the Lord was giving me His go-ahead to buy the tickets. I knew if a major appliance of mine broke and had to be repaired or replaced, I wouldn’t be able to afford the trip. (My appliances are getting old. My washing machine is 13 years old, and has been through three unprofessional moves, so I kind of expect it to crater any time.)

Well, I bought my tickets. Soon thereafter my refrigerator broke! Not only did I have expensive repairs, but all my newly purchased meat, cheese and produce ruined. I wouldn’t have bought my airline ticket had I known this would happen! But the Lord provided in unexpected ways through brothers and sisters in the faith who heard about it through the grapevine. Thanks to them for blessing me, and thanks to the Lord for getting me to the USA to see my parents. Lots of people in my line of work have family with them overseas, but I hadn’t seen a single family member in 1-1/2 years prior to this trip.

It was a nice trip. It went by fast. And now I am back overseas. Having jet lag.


3 comments:

Kala said...

Remembering the last time your washing machine broke down...with my wet clothes trapped inside it!

E said...

Ah yes, I try to block those unpleasant events out of my memory! But my washing machine had further problems after you left. Now, every now and then, the front-loading door opens during a wash and pours water onto the floor. It is dangerous (electrically speaking) but I am careful and keep the door closed so Mimi can't get in there.

Thanks for writing! :-)

Anonymous said...

You're gonna be back next summer! Yay, may I claim some of your time then....assuming I'm in the states. We have this rather bad tendency to not be in the same country at the same time :(
Glad it was a good rest