Saturday, October 18, 2008

Leaving Bedrock


Times change, and ya know, even the Flintstones had to move on. On September 20th, I moved away from Bedrock to move to my new home in Bamboo Forest. I was sad along the entire 8-hour bus ride, but the sadness was lifted the moment I arrived in the modern, garden-like, historical metropolis city of Bamboo Forest.

Bamboo Forest has a population about the same size as Hong Kong's, more if you count the immigrant population that cannot according to law call BF their permanent address. But BF has more space than Hong Kong, so it's buildings need not be so close together nor so tall.

The first and best change: an elevator. Mimi didn't like it at all the first day, but when she learned the useful purpose of the elevator and the fact that it allowed her more trips out to the grass during the day, she quickly began to love the elevator. While we are going down, she body slams different sides of the elevator in a sort of victory celebration. Mimi doesn't get on the elevator when other people are on it though. There is no rule against it, but we want to maintain friendships. Mimi tickled a little girl with her teeth our last day in Bedrock, and the frightened parents took their daughter in for a series of rabies shots because they didn't trust my little booklets claiming my dog had a rabies' vaccine. (Mimi's teeth did not even break the skin.) Our departure from Bedrock was, it seems, well-timed.

The second and best change (two bests? yes!): lettuce. After twelve years of no salads, I have become a salad freak. The little grocery store here at my apartment complex sells it, and I can't get enough of it. But I probably will eventually get enough of it and start to hate salads. I think that's going to take a long time though.

The photo is from my apartment complex grounds. It is peaceful to walk in this apartment complex. The neighbors in Bedrock were sweet, but they were also busybodies, always in my business, criticizing me for using my air-conditioner in 100 degree weather, and stuff like that. Here, everyone uses their air-conditioners and no one hassles me when I go walking. I no longer need nerves of steel to leave my home. It's hard to believe I am in the same country still!

No comments: