Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Everything Changes


The seasons are changing, and I am so glad of that! I love all the seasons, but I love autumn the most and wish it would last longer than the other seasons. In early fall, we have all the beautiful greenery of summer without the pain of oppressive heat.

The city where I live keeps changing too. Last week I was in taxi between the local airport and my apartment. My dad called my cell phone, and for a minute or two I was so speechless that I couldn't even talk to him. In the taxi, we had come across a huge area about the length of 15 blocks square that used to be villages a few weeks ago, and now was a pile of rubble waiting to be hauled off to make way for new high-rise apartment buildings. I was gone for less than two weeks, and within that time the government had flattened the entire village area (east of the river, for those who know the city). This happens around here a lot, and every time it happens I feel shocked, and also a little annoyed that I didn't know so I could have taken before and after shots! Most of the people who have their homes leveled are happy to have a better place to live, but for others, a lifetime of memories is torn away, and there is deep sadness.

Another change to come our way is Pizza Hut! I can hardly believe that this "middle-of-nowhere" place that ten years ago earned itself the moniker "Bedrock" now has three KFC's, one McDonald's, and one Pizza Hut. I was just thrilled when they got their first grocery store in 2000, so getting a Pizza Hut is almost overwhelming for me. Anyone who saw this city in 1996 and then again today would think they had come to a different city.

Everything changes, but for now I'm still here by the grace of God. Life is good.

Mimi says to say "hi" for her.

No comments: